MUSEO MARINO MARINI (FLORENCE)

en - it

MUSEO MARINO MARINI (FLORENCE)

Direction:
Alberto Salvadori

Contacts:
Piazza San Pancrazio, 50123 Florence
telephone +39 055 219432
e-mail info@museomarinomarini.it
website www.museomarinomarini.it

Info:
Open 10 am-5 pm. Closed on Tuesday, Sunday and on public holidays

2. Overview of the first floor

2. Overview of the first floor

Mission
The Marino Marini Museum of Florence, together with the Foundation Marino Marini in Pistoia, was set up with the aim of ensuring the conservation, protection and promotion of the work and artistic patrimony of Marino Marini (Pistoia 1901 – Viareggio 1980).
The aim of the Marini San Prancrazio foundation is to manage and support the Marino Marini Museum, which occupies the former San Pancrazio’s church in Florence; to further a calendar of events and exhibition devoted to contemporary artists, from the twentieth century until the most recent productions and themes in the crypt.
Thanks to its exhibition program the Museum has earned, under the artistic direction of Alberto Salvadori, a prominent role among the Italian institutions dedicated to contemporary art. In the past few years the Museum has organized important solo exhibitions of international artists such as: Esther Kläs, Silke Otto-Knapp, Jonathas de Andrade, Marie Lund, Deimantas Narkevicius, Matthew Brannon, João Maria Gusmão + Pedro Paiva.
One of the main focus of the exhibition program is also to support new productions and exhibitions of Italian artists including: Yuri Ancarani, Massimo Bartolini, Francesco Gennari, Andrea Kvas, Nicola Martini, Valerio Rocco Orlando and Luca Trevisani.
The Museum is a member of the AMACI Associacion of Contemporary Art Museum in Italy.

3_FRAC

3. Exhibition view 30/60 Opere dalla collezione del FRAC Champagne-Ardenne

4_FRAC

4. Exhibition view 30/60 Opere dalla collezione del FRAC Champagne-Ardenne

The collection
The museum houses 182 works of art by Marino Marini: sculptures, paintings, drawings and engravings. The works are not arranged in a chronological order but thematically. The themes themselves are arranged not by iconographical representation, but rather by a state of mind.
The collection focuses around the large equestrian sculpture from The Hague (1957-58) that stands at the centre of the former liturgical space and is illuminated by natural light coming from the great absidal window.
Marino Marini considered natural light to be necessary in reading his own work. this principle is fully adopted and used in the museum: each piece has different possible points-of-view and the idea of “putting the artwork on a stand” – a concept so alien to Marini’s poetics – is avoided.

5_G&P

5. Exhibition view João Maria Gusmão and Pedro Paiva, There’s nothing more to tell because this is small, as is every fecundation

6_G&P

6. Exhibition view João Maria Gusmão and Pedro Paiva, There’s nothing more to tell because this is small, as is every fecundation

The building
The Marino Marini Museum is situated in the heart of the historical centre of Florence – in the area between Via Della Vigna Nuova and Piazza Santa Maria Novella – and it occupies the former San Pancrazio’s church.
The ecclesiastical settlement of San Pancrazio, which can trace its existence back to the beginning of the ninth century, was transformed into priory after 1100 and the building underwent massive renovation thanks to the Vallombrosian monks – who had taken the place of the Benedictine nuns. The radical renewal of the cloister came to an end between 1457 and 1467 under the supervision of Leon Battista Alberti who was patronized by the Rucellai family. His St. Sepulchre’s chapel, previously connected to the church, was closed in 1808, when Napoleon opted, by law, for the abolition of the ecclesiastic orders and Saint Pancrace’s church was deconsecrated. On that occasion the triforium designed by Alberti was removed and turned into a new façade whose proportions were strongly altered.
Ever since, until 1988, the building has been desecrated several times; after the dispersion of the ecclesiastical furniture, the church served the seat of the city’s lottery, then it was turned into a tribunal and in a tobacco factory, when a fire burnt the masonry of the apse. it was used as military dump eventually.
In 1988 the opening of a contemporary art museum – the first ever in Florence – which would combine antiquity and contemporary languages, called a halt to the long and troubled history of the building. Thanks to an articulated renovation plan supervised by the two architects Bruno Sacchi and Lorenzo Papi, Florence could take the building back, after years of improper uses.
The 16th of February 2013 the connection between the Rucellai chapel and the San Pancrazio church was re-opened and now the Sacellum of the Holy Sepulchre by Leon Battista Alberti can be accessed from the Museum.

7_narkevicius

7. Exhibition view Deimantas Narkevičius, da capo

8_narkevicius

8. Exhibition view Deimantas Narkevičius, da capo

Mission
Congiuntamente alla Fondazione Marino Marini di Pistoia, il Museo Marino Marini di Firenze ha lo scopo di assicurare la conservazione, la tutela e la valorizzazione dell’opera e del patrimonio artistico di Marino Marini.
La Fondazione Marini San Pancrazio ha lo scopo di gestire il Museo Marino Marini situato nella ex chiesa di San Pancrazio a Firenze, di promuovere manifestazioni culturali ed esposizioni dedicate ad artisti e tematiche dal Novecento alla contemporaneità nella sottostante cripta.
In questi ultimi anni, sotto la direzione artistica di Alberto Salvadori, il Museo Marino Marini si è guadagnato un ruolo di primo piano tra le istituzioni museali italiane grazie a un programma di mostre personali di artisti internazionali tra cui Esther Kläs, Silke Otto-Knapp, Jonathas de Andrade, Marie Lund, Deimantas Narkevicius, Matthew Brannon, João Maria Gusmão + Pedro Paiva.
Il programma espositivo si distingue inoltre per una particolare attenzione alle nuove produzioni di artisti italiani cui sono state dedicate importanti mostre personali. Tra questi: Yuri Ancarani, Massimo Bartolini, Francesco Gennari, Andrea Kvas, Nicola Martini, Valerio Rocco Orlando e Luca Trevisani.
Il Museo è membro di AMACI (Associazione Musei d’Arte Contemporanea Italiani).

La collezione
Il museo conserva 183 opere di Marino Marini: sculture, dipinti, disegni e incisioni. La loro disposizione è tematica piuttosto che cronologica, intendendosi come tema più uno stato d’animo che un soggetto iconografico in senso stretto: essa ruota intorno all’imponente gruppo equestre dell’Aja (1957-58) collocato nell’epicentro dell’antico spazio liturgico e immerso nella luce naturale proveniente dalla grande vetrata absidale.
Marini considerava la luce naturale un vincolante elemento di lettura della propria opera: questo criterio è pienamente accolto e sfruttato nel museo; i punti di osservazione sono molteplici, ovviando così all’avversione dell’artista per “l’opera sul piedistallo”, concetto assai distante dalla poetica mariniana.

L’edificio
Il Museo Marino Marini è collocato nel centro storico di Firenze, all’interno della ex-chiesa di San Pancrazio, tra Via della Vigna Nuova e piazza Santa Maria Novella.
L’insediamento ecclesiastico di San Pancrazio, già documentato agli inizi del IX secolo, viene costituito in prioria dopo il 1100; alle monache benedettine che lo hanno in uso tra il XII e il XIII secolo subentrano i vallombrosani, che attuano una radicale ristrutturazione del convento, completata tra il 1457 e il 1467 dall’intervento di Leon Battista Alberti, patrocinato dai Rucellai. La sua cappella del Santo Sepolcro, originariamente comunicante con l’interno della chiesa, viene isolata nel 1808, anno della soppressione napoleonica e della sconsacrazione di San Pancrazio, con la rimozione del triforio albertiano, ricomposto nella facciata con proporzioni fortemente variate. Un destino di profanazione attende l’edificio: alla dispersione degli arredi segue l’impiego come lotteria napoleonica, sede della pretura e poi della manifattura tabacchi, quando un incendio distrusse la muratura absidale; infine come deposito militare. Questa lunga e alterna vicenda si conclude nel 1988 con l’apertura di uno spazio museale che coniuga felicemente antico e moderno: la città ritrova un edificio storico sottratto ad usi impropri attraverso una laboriosa opera di restauro, progettata dagli architetti Bruno Sacchi e Lorenzo Papi, e acquista il primo museo di arte contemporanea.
Il 16 febbraio del 2013 è stato riaperto il passaggio che collega la Cappella Rucellai alla chiesa di San Pancrazio. Il tempietto del Santo Sepolcro di Leon Battista Alberti è quindi entrato a far parte del percorso espositivo del Museo Marino Marini.

Project: Alfred Jarry Archipelago

Images:
1. Museo Marino Marini. Overview of the ground floor. Photo © Dario Lasagni
2. Museo Marino Marini. Overview of the first floor. Photo © Dario Lasagni
3-4. Exhibition view 30/60 Opere dalla collezione del FRAC Champagne-Ardenne, curated by Leonardo Bigazzi and Florence Derieux. Photo © Dario Lasagni
5-6. Exhibition view João Maria Gusmão and Pedro Paiva, There’s nothing more to tell because this is small, as is every fecundation, curated by Nuno Faria and Alberto Salvadori. Photo © Carlo Fei
7-8. 7. Exhibition view Deimantas Narkevičius, da capo, curated by Alberto Salvadori and Andrea Viliani. Photo © Dario Lasagni

close